TOP TIPS ON GRABBING AND LIFTING
- Plug the medium motor into Port A and remember to ‘click’ that cable into place.
- Start with a low power level so that you can see the effect – and avoid your mechanism breaking itself off!
- If your mechanism is moving in the wrong direction, change the ‘power’ level to a negative number.
- Your program may need to ‘reverse’ the motor position to place an object that was lifted perhaps.
- Add other bricks to the mechanism to make it achieve the precise movement that you want.
- When the motor is ‘stopped’ (if it’s obstructed for instance) from completing the number of degrees, it will not do anything else until it is allowed to complete the specified number of degrees (so when the obstruction is removed).
LET’S DO A REALLY QUICK BUILD… IDEAL FOR LIFTING AND A BIT OF GRABBING!
In this video, Colin shows how to build a mechanism that will get your robot lifting, dragging or even throwing! Using the ‘two funky black’ gears and a few other bricks you’ll be up and scooping in no time at all! This will be really useful for lots of the tasks that require picking and grabbing!
LET’S GET PROGRAMMING…
Programming the medium motor is simple but you will need to try out different values to get the desired result. In this video, John also also demonstrates using a Loop block.
LET’S DO A REALLY QUICK BUILD… A BETTER GRABBER?
In this video, John shows how to build a mechanism that will develop your robots grabbing ability. Is it better than the build Colin has done? It’s different. See which one works best for you…
IT IS SIMPLE TO BRING TO LIFE…
You are probably getting good at controlling the Medium Motor. Watch the video that John did to program the first mechanism, and then amend it for your new grabber!
GREAT SUPPORT FROM LEGO EDUCATION
- From the Lobby (the starting page) go to ROBOT EDUCATOR and choose BASICS and MOVE OBJECT. The lesson gives instructions for building the standard robot, adding a dragging mechanism and programming them.
- Go to the ROBOT EDUCATOR TUTORIALS by clicking on the arrow on the right side of the home page (The Lobby). Select MOVE OBJECT to see the same lesson there.