Give your NXT brick a new lease of life
The NXT brick can be programmed using the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Software (however, not all of the EV3 Software features are supported by the NXT Brick.)
To use the EV3 software with your NXT brick:
- Connect your NXT brick using the USB lead to a computer running the latest version of the NXT software – you can download the software here.
- Turn on the NXT brick.
- Go to the Tools menu, select Update NXT Firmware. Click Download button to download the firmware to your NXT brick.
- You can now use the EV3 software to program your NXT brick! You can download the EV3 software (desktop version) from here.
- Some features, such as data logging will not work.
- You also can not use the iPad version of the EV3 software with your updated NXT brick.
Some useful notes from LEGO Education:
Can you use NXT parts with the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3?
The LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick uses the same LEGO Technic elements and RJ12 connector cables as the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education NXT Brick, so all your existing sensors, motors and building elements will work with the new platform. Please notice that the NXT rechargeable battery cannot be used together with the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick.
Can I connect my NXT Brick to the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick?
No. It is not possible to daisy-chain with the NXT Brick.
Can I reuse the rechargeable battery and charger?
No. You cannot reuse your battery, as the build interface has changed, but you can reuse your DC charger (8887 (older version) or 45517 (newer version)).
Can I program the NXT Brick using LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Software?
You can program your NXT Brick using the new LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Software. However, not all of the EV3 Software features are supported by the NXT Brick.
Can I program the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick using NXT Software?
No. It is not possible to program your LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Brick with the NXT Software.