INTRO AND LEARNING GOALS
Get your robot to really express itself with the use of the EV3 Mindstorms Display.
- Learn how to program your robot to display one of the LEGO Education images
- Design your own image in the Image Editor (Desktop version only)
- Understand how to display the Image for a set amount of time
- Investigate the possibilities of using images to give your robot even more expression
EV3 LAB: LET’S PROGRAM THE ROBOT TO DISPLAY IMAGES, AND CREATE YOUR OWN IMAGES
In this video, John shows how the robot can display a LEGO image and how you can create your own. As with the sound, it’s a great way to add character and entertainment to your robot. And when combined with sound… Wow! 😉
EV3 CLASSROOM: PROGRAM THE ROBOT TO DISPLAY IMAGES
In this video, Stuart shows how the robot can display a LEGO image on your EV3…
SOME TEACHING THOUGHTS… from Stuart
- The Image Editor is only available on the Desktop version of EV3 Lab software. You can use the Display Block on the tablet, but you can’t design your own
- When editing images it is a lot easier if you get the contrast of your image right first, before putting it in the EV3 Image Editor – it saves a lot of time!
ROBOT WORKOUT (WHERE NEXT?)
- Explore the different types of image available. Have the students pair up images and sounds. Develop a robot that looks and sounds happy or sad. Maybe it can be programmed with changing emotions – cool!
- You could link the images with the sensors. Maybe giving a warning when your robot is approaching an object.
- Develop programs where an image is shown in response to your robot completing a task – maybe in response to a sensor being activated.
- Investigate how images can be shown at the same time as other actions are happening. Remember how to get your robot to multitask.
GREAT SUPPORT FROM LEGO EDUCATION
From the lobby (the starting page) go to ROBOT EDUCATOR and choose HARDWARE and BRICK DISPLAY. The lesson shows how to add an image into a program.